The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is the body that conducts the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) for candidates seeking admission into various tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The UTME is a computer-based test that covers four subjects: English Language, Mathematics, and any two other subjects relevant to the candidate’s chosen course of study.
The UTME is a highly competitive exam that requires adequate preparation and planning. If you are planning to register for the JAMB 2024 exam, here are some things you should do before you fill out the application form.
1. Choose your preferred course and institution
The first thing you need to do before registering for JAMB 2024 is to decide on the course and institution you want to apply for. This will help you to narrow down your options and focus on the relevant subjects and requirements. You can use the JAMB brochure to check the list of available courses and institutions, as well as their admission criteria and cut-off marks. You can also visit the websites of the institutions you are interested in to get more information.
You should choose a course and institution that match your interests, abilities, and career goals. You should also consider the availability of facilities, faculty, and accreditation of the course and institution. You should have at least three choices: a first choice, a second choice, and a third choice. You can change your choices later if you change your mind, but it is advisable to make your decisions carefully and stick to them.
2. Get your personal and academic documents ready
The next thing you need to do before registering for JAMB 2024 is to get your personal and academic documents ready. You will need these documents to fill out the online application form and to verify your identity and qualifications. The documents you will need include:
- A valid email address and phone number. You will use these to create your JAMB profile and receive updates and notifications from JAMB. You should use an email address and phone number that you can access easily and regularly.
- A National Identification Number (NIN). This is a unique number that identifies you as a Nigerian citizen. You will need this to register for JAMB 2024, as well as for other purposes such as opening a bank account, applying for a passport, and voting. You can get your NIN by visiting any of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) enrollment centers across the country. You will need to provide your biometric data and a passport photograph. You will receive a slip with your NIN after the enrollment process. You should keep this slip safe and secure, as you will need it to collect your National Identity Card later.
- An O’level certificate or statement of result. This is a document that shows your grades in the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or its equivalent, such as WAEC, NECO, or NABTEB. You will need this to prove that you have met the minimum requirements for your chosen course and institution. You should have at least five credits, including English Language and Mathematics, in not more than two sittings. You should also have the original and photocopies of your certificate or statement of result, as well as the scratch card for verification.
- A passport photograph. This is a recent and clear photograph of your face, taken against a white background. You will need this to upload on the JAMB portal and to print out your registration slip and exam slip. You should have at least four copies of your passport photograph, and they should be identical and not more than six months old.
3. Create your JAMB profile and generate your profile code
The third thing you need to do before registering for JAMB 2024 is to create your JAMB profile and generate your profile code. Your JAMB profile is a personal account that contains your basic information, such as your name, date of birth, gender, state of origin, and local government area. Your profile code is a unique 10-digit number that links your profile to your application. You will need these to complete your registration and to access other JAMB services, such as checking your admission status, printing your admission letter, and correcting your data.
To create your JAMB profile and generate your profile code, you will need to follow these steps:
- Send your NIN as a text message to 55019. You will receive a confirmation message with your profile code and a link to the JAMB portal. You should save this message and keep your profile code confidential.
- Visit the JAMB portal and click on “Create e-Facility Account/Login”. Enter your email address and password, and click on “Sign Up”. You will receive a verification email with a link to activate your account. Click on the link and enter your profile code to complete your profile creation.
- Log in to your JAMB profile and update your personal and academic details. You will also need to choose your preferred course and institution, as well as your UTME subjects. You can also upload your passport photograph and O’level result on the portal.
4. Pay for your JAMB e-PIN and registration fee
The fourth thing you need to do before registering for JAMB 2024 is to pay for your JAMB e-PIN and registration fee. Your JAMB e-PIN is a unique 16-digit number that enables you to register for the UTME at any accredited JAMB registration center. Your registration fee is the amount you pay to JAMB for the UTME application. The registration fee for JAMB 2024 is N3,500, while the e-PIN costs N500. You will also need to pay N700 as a service charge to the registration center.
To pay for your JAMB e-PIN and registration fee, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit any of the authorized banks, mobile money operators, or online payment platforms to make your payment. You will need to provide your profile code and the amount you want to pay. You will receive a confirmation message with your e-PIN and a receipt.
- Alternatively, you can pay using your ATM card. You will need to visit the JAMB portal and click on “UTME Registration”. Enter your profile code and click on “Pay UTME Fee”. You will be redirected to the payment gateway, where you will enter your card details and complete your payment. You will receive a confirmation message with your e-PIN and a receipt.
- You should keep your e-PIN and receipt safe and secure, as you will need them to register at the registration center.
5. Register at an accredited JAMB registration center
The fifth and final thing you need to do before registering for JAMB 2024 is to register at an accredited JAMB registration center. An accredited JAMB registration center is a place where you can complete your UTME registration and biometric verification. You can find the list of accredited JAMB registration centers on the JAMB website or portal.
To register at an accredited JAMB registration center, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit the registration center with your e-PIN, receipt, NIN slip, O’level result, and passport photographs. You will also need to provide your email address and phone number.
- The registration officer will verify your e-PIN and NIN, and capture your biometric data, such as your fingerprints and facial image. You will also need to sign a declaration form that confirms the accuracy of your information and your compliance with the JAMB rules and regulations.
- The registration officer will print out your registration slip and exam slip. Your registration slip will contain your personal and academic details, as well as your UTME subjects and exam date. Your exam slip will contain your exam number, center, and time. You should check your slips for any errors and report them to the registration officer for correction.
- You should keep your slips safe and secure, as you will need them to enter the exam hall and to check your result.
Registering for JAMB 2024 is a simple and straightforward process, as long as you follow the steps outlined above. You should start your preparation early and plan ahead, as the registration period is usually short and the exam is highly competitive. You should also study hard and practice with past questions and mock exams, as this will help you to improve your performance and score high in the UTME. We wish you all the best in your JAMB 2024 exam and admission process.